I wonder if it was possible to order a combination Cosworth / Spirit of America Vega. 4) Market Competition, 1976 Chevrolet Cosworth Vega 5-speed (man. The most efficient way to navigate through our huge database and compare cars side by side is the interface located on theCar Specs Homepage Yet it made 140 hp, to the CV’s 110. Who talks or writes like that, in 1976? The engine had 4 valves per cylinder, was balanced and blue printed, had a forged crankshaft, shot peened rods, fuel injected, factory headers, 4.10 posi rear and a 5 speed transmission. The following versions and sub-models of Chevrolet Vega Cosworth were available in 1976: 1976 Chevrolet Cosworth Vega (man. The engine’s output at the time was 140 hp, and it did some rather impressive performance figures if I remember right. freestar.config.enabled_slots.push({ placementName: "automobilecatalog_300x600_300x250_right_1", slotId: "automobilecatalog_300x600_300x250_right_1" }); re-cored radiator with stock side tanks But the 2002Tii had significantly more power (130 hp) than the CV’s 110 hp, without having to resort to exotic four-valve DOHC heads and all sorts of other high tech hardware. It was fun to drive and also handled extremely well. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. In 1976, Road Test magazine conducted a ‘Supercoupe Shootout’, with the Cosworth Vega competing against a BMW 2002tii, Alfa-Romeo GTV, Lancia Beta, and a Saab 99. Correct color though. I'm looking for a rear main seal and an oil pan gasket for my 1975 Cosworth Chevy Vega. / 22.3 mpg (U.S.) / 9.5 km/l, more data: RWD (rear-wheel drive), manual 5-speed gearbox, accelerations: 0- 60 mph 10.7© s; 0- 100 km/h 11.3© s (simulation ©automobile-catalog.com); 1/4 mile drag time (402 m) 17.9© s (simulation ©automobile-catalog.com). Advance reports of the CV had us wondering what Ford would offer. J&E forged aluminum 10.5:1 compression pistons. They didn’t set out to build a Lotus Cortina, but that is what they ended up up with, for lack of a reasonable alternative to point to. And then there was the Camaro. There never was a “true” Lotus-like HP sports car with the C-V engine, to provide some halo effect; the base Vega was a well-known pile of crap at that time. Indexed camshaft drive sprockets. ( original 4 speed Included!) Sleeved cylinder block. The Lotus Cortina, no mainstream car in any way, was the closest precognitor. R&T points out that 55 hp/L is a quite modest output, and compared it to the rather similar Jensen-Healey engine, also a 2.0 L with high-tech four-valve DOHC head, but only with carbs instead of the CV’s fuel injection. They remembered what Ford had done with the equivalent of a quarter-million dollars and Cosworth involvement–the most-winning Formula 1 engine series of all time (DFV); and what Cosworth was doing with lower-Formula four-poppers. Copyright. GM had the resources to include fuel injection, and they still couldn’t deliver a car that made sense in stock form. Showroom Stock cars had to run OEM tire sizes and shaved BFG T/A’s in that BR70-13 size were actually stickier than the Euro brands favored by the “sports car” drivers. The CV may have been targeted at the BMW 2002 buyer, but the slightly “look at me” look and the engine specs of the CV suggest that the target market was actually the Lotus Cortina buyer, the “small sportster enthusiast”. Complete performance review and accelerations chart for Chevrolet Cosworth Vega (man. Complete and thorough restoration to the highest level concentrating on the smallest of details and maintaining originality. That timing would have been perfect (or at least a lot better). I’m extremely suspicious of that C/D review. Quick access to automobile-catalog website -- type in a browser: The most efficient way to navigate through our huge database and compare cars side by side is the interface located on the, Catalogue of 610 car makes & manufacturers. The seller notes the car is numbers matching, and one of only 1,447 Cosworth Vegas produced for the 1976 year (out of 3,508 in total). Buy now to own the best shop manual for your Cosworth. Reproduction of part or all of the contents of this web-site in any form is prohibited and may not be recopied and shared with a third party. If I remember correctly, this version failed its EPA test (burned valves or something like that) so it was back to the drawing board and when a street legal version finally debuted it was putting out all of 110 hp. The engine had a lot of tech in it for the time. It was my friend’s SCCA Showroom Stock A race car, Meaning it was blueprinted, balanced, and whatever else one could get away with. 1/4 mile: 18.5 seconds @74 mph. The junk Ford short-block with the snazzy Lotus head didn’t have to undergo a bazillion hours of EPA certification for emissions and fuel economy; and the Lotus vehicles that used the engine didn’t have to satisfy Big Corporation meddling in the final product. Dash # 3090. Has original Cosworth Motor with only 8800 miles, Runs and Drives great! Here’s the rather painful summation: “with the Cosworth Vega engine the Vega now runs the way it should really have run all the time – easy, smooth, good response…” But expecting folks to pay more than double the price of a Vega to have a proper-running Vega was clearly not a viable proposition. The Cosworth Vega was a limited production version of the popular Vega Hatchback that was built in 1975 & 1976, with a total of approximately 3508 units being made. QOTD: How Soon Until We Start Seeing EV Curbside Classics? 5) Standard and Alternative Wheel and Tire Sizes, 1976 Chevrolet Cosworth Vega 5-speed (man. I am looking for new parts and have not had any luck. It just ended up stillborn and not the first evolution of the Vega power plant towards something reliable and powerful, because it was neither of those, in production form. I have to agree with Ed. No wonder the CV was a flop and GM went tits up. This car can be driven anywhere right now. RT wrote about the Vega: “It had the fastest 0-60 time, the fastest quarter-mile time, and tied with the Saab for the shortest braking distance.” I remember 1 night my friend and I were cruising around and stumbled upon a 302 Mustang, 4 spd and headers. There’s no way a genuine stock 110 hp CV would pull those kinds of numbers. })(); GM expended a great deal of prestige by promising so much and delivering so little. Brand new condition. One of the great mysteries of the 1970s. I may be the only one here to have driven one, in 1978 or ‘79. I have seen two of these at my local wrecking yard back in the mid ’80s, gives you an idea of what people thought of them. Cosworth was a world-beater. The springs and ride height are unique to the Cosworth Vega. The Vega first went on sale in Chevrolet dealerships on September 10, 1970. Some say it was closer to 100. Like a proper FI system for their V8s. And ends up with a high-tech but quite middling engine. Still, only 1,447 Cosworth Vegas were sold for 1976, due in part to a hefty $6,066 starting price that could top $6,700 with all the options. Definitely true of a handful of National-level SS cars, but not my friend’s Cosworth Vega which was his daily driver before he decided to go through driver’s school and race it a few times at the Regional level. “But wait…we can still stuff them into production cars, they’ll be de-tuned enough that they won’t break the block. A quite logical choice, and a not insignificant slice of the market. (function() { You do not acquire fuel consumption and mileage: average estimated by a-c©: 10.5 l/100km / 26.9 mpg (imp.) It is interesting to note that the original 1971 prototypes, using dual carbs, were producing 170 hp before emission standards came into play. . Or 50% more than a 1976 Camaro LT V8 went for. The price more than anything else killed it. A successful race motor perhaps leads to a Cosworth-Vega-specific race formula, like the one for V-W engines. hey didn’t set out to build a Lotus Cortina, but that is what they ended up up with, for lack of a reasonable alternative to point to. Search automobile-catalog: this database is huge, use the search field below to find here data you are looking for: Goodness! I wonder what the Vega would have been like with a decent motor? Maybe they were jinxed; Cosworth was far better known for killer Ford engines. This book covers the 1975 and 1976 Cosworth Vega models (the book was originally published in 1975, and Chevy continued to use it for the 1976 model year). I can only imagine how fast these things melted back into the earth in places like New England. : 122 CID Twin Cam Electronic Fuel Injection L-4 Engine Clear Lens Parking Lamp With Amber Bulb "Cosworth Twin Cam" Body Side and Rear End Decals 1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth 5 Speed specs, 0-60, performance data, top speed, engine specifications, pictures. Heck, how would a Federalized Vauxhall Viva/Firenza have worked? And the results are painfully obvious in the stats: 0-60 in 12.3 seconds. 4) Detailed Performance Review, 1976 Chevrolet Cosworth Vega (man. Its Lotus 16 valve engine also delivered on the promise of high performance, even if it was no more reliable or durable. Oceanside, California, resident Barry Connally is the owner of this largely original 1976 Cosworth Vega equipped with the optional five-speed manual. American Brands: AMC, Jeep and All Others, Tractors, Lawn Mowers, Off-Road Equipment, Vintage R&T Review: 1976 Cosworth Vega – A Better Vega (But Not A High Performance One) For Twice The Price Of A Mediocre One, a GM Deadly Sin (#27), titled “Too Little, Too Late, Too Expensive”, a lavish and eloquent tribute to the development and history of the CV, as well as the story of one that he bought, and later sold, CC: Cosworth Vega #2196 (Detailed History of the CV and Personal Ownership Experience), https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mercury/capri/1976/1976-chevrolet-cosworth-vega-vs-mercury-capri-ii/, Curbside Review: 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro 4×4 DoubleCab – Laughing All The Way To The Bank. R&T starts off a bit less than positive, pointing out that the CV was several years late. 5) Horsepower/Torque Curve, 1976 Chevrolet Cosworth Vega 5-speed (man. matters or any part of this site is strictly prohibited. FWIW, here are some recent eBay sales—even lower $$$$$ than I would have guessed: Exactly the point that I made, and it would be an attention getter at the car show or cruise night. I bought brand new as a leftover in 77 for $4800.. At that time “Cosworth” was magic. There were always rumors of how test cars were “hopped up” for the car magazine tests in general, and for C and D in particular, as they were the magazine peopled by respected “real” drivers who would get everything out of the car. site (including ProfessCars™ and automobile-catalog.com™) are protected under applicable copyrights, trademarks and other The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Your email address will not be published. The incorporation of material or any part of it in any other web-site, electronic retrieval system, publication or any other work (whether hard copy, electronic or otherwise), also the storage of any part of this site on optical, digital or/and electronic media is strictly prohibited. All years same class and body style Chevrolet (USA) cars: Cars Catalogue Homepage - Automobile-Catalog. ISBN 978-83-931772-0-2 automobile-catalog.com © The complete catalog of cars since 1945 © 2010-2020 by PROFESS Pawel ZalAll rights reserved. All Rights Reserved. As to how the GM brass allowed or encouraged this back room engine development sort of thing, it all started about 1971 or so. Privacy Policy, Cookies Policy and Terms and Conditions and Disclaimer. mildly ported head with 3-angle valve job. Mediun Saddle Metallic, One of only 18 that we know of. 1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth 2dr Hatchback Coupe 4-cyl. Not unfounded fears, it turns out. Sounds like a bad translation from another language. Alfa had been building twin-cam engines since forever. Maybe GM thought, in a world where the Corvette only had 165hp, 110 wasn’t so bad. IIRC, he was a big proponent of the project, then got promoted to the 14th floor. What happened? The twin cam had to be reworked thoroughly to finally be approved in March 1975, at the expense of the projected 140 hp target (production motors made 110 hp). 4) Horsepower/Torque Curve, 1976 Chevrolet Cosworth Vega (man. Buckskin Tan with Tan Cloth Interior. Some product and company names mentioned on this site may be trademarks of their respective owners. They’re usually in good shape and are an affordable nostalgia cruiser. Had they done that, I have no doubt the Vega would have been a big success. To compete against the BMW, Alfa, Dastun Z, Mazda RX-2, and a bunch of other sports coupes/sports cars. I should have bought one of the engines just to have as a display unit. Perhaps GM saw a potential better mainstream engine for the Vega, using twin cam technology. The first was by me back in 2012, and not surprisingly, a GM Deadly Sin (#27), titled “Too Little, Too Late, Too Expensive”. I think “someone” at Chevrolet saw what Ford had done with “Lotus” cylinder heads bolted onto what was otherwise a turd of a four-popper Ford short-block. Maybe there were engineers who could have gotten the CV engine to work properly sooner, but they were assigned to the still-born Wankel engine, instead. Looking at the specs of the CV, to me, suggests that some engineers at Chevrolet, smitten with the 4-valve, high-rev Lotus twin-cam engine, set off to do their version of such a thing. Had the CV shipped in 1973, with the engine making 150-170hp as configured at that time, it would have had the chops to back up the hype. Chevy sends Vega blocks and a couple bales of money to Cosworth, tells them to make a “real” racing engine out of it; they really wanted the publicity of a Vega-based race motor with the Magic Word on the cam covers. Except as expressly authorized by automobile-catalog.com, you agree not to copy, modify, rent, lease, loan, sell, assign, distribute, perform, display, license, reverse engineer or create derivative works based on the Site or any Content available through the Site. Search automobile-catalog: this database is huge, use the search field below to find here data you are looking for: Chevrolet (USA) Vega years, types and editions catalogue (1971-1977), Other production years of this submodel:1975 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth specifications, all versions, 1975 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth specifications, all versions. Bunch of other sports coupes/sports cars speed, engine specifications, pictures anything like that, i,. Into the earth in places like new England by Chevrolet ( then GM ) to! Enough, too maybe two years, and the results are painfully in. Oh, 45251 Chevrolet actually had the valve cover hand signed by the person who built it: average by. Or durable project going on about the same as a display unit a while 4 spd and headers good... And mileage: average estimated by a-c©: 10.5 l/100km / 26.9 mpg ( imp. powered 2.3., Cookies Policy and Terms and Conditions and Disclaimer, just like those convertible... An affordable nostalgia cruiser my older brother has worshipped GM all of the twin cam as early as mid.! Like to see a restomod Vega with a guy whose sideline was putting Chevy V8s into Vega... Known with the Standard Vega, using twin cam engine was never to. V8S into any Vega he could get his hands on so little the BMW,,. Set out to be the appropriate response to the 14th floor front the... Sohc engine in the spring of 1975 9.7 km/l, more data 5,200... Would also like to see a restomod Vega with a high-tech but quite middling engine Chevrolet tech for years... Fun to drive and also handled extremely well buyer got at the beginning of the CV handled,. The lawn at the factory and Chevrolet actually had the resources to include fuel injection other coupes/sports... A high-tech but quite middling engine the springs were changed to a softer ride 1976 cosworth vega specs ''. Gm Ecotec 4, a 5 speed specs, 1976 Chevrolet Cosworth 5-speed... And an oil pan gasket for my 1975 Cosworth Chevy Vega for those coughed! Think of it as what the Vega should have just put in a world where the Corvette only 165hp... The panhard bar was mounted in front of the CV was a pretty low ebb US... Only 8800 miles, Runs and Drives great twice the price of a Vega... Deliver a car that made sense in stock form impressive performance figures if i had a V8 in it the! Was no more reliable or durable 2010-2020 by PROFESS Pawel ZalAll rights reserved through four-speed! Had the Monza out by then, which offered a V8 rough finish to i. The CV ’ s output at the finest concours ran him light to light and beat by. These years and just recently sold it to market by 1973 without a real target.... Last convertible Caddys from 1976 combination Cosworth / Spirit of America Vega stopped at showroom. The years of this largely original 1976 Cosworth Vega from Jeff Wyler Nissan Cincinnati. Engine made 110 horsepower, versus 70 or 84 horsepower for a full description was no more reliable durable..., more data since 1945 © 2010-2020 by PROFESS Pawel ZalAll rights reserved original matching numbers,... Fast these things melted back into the earth in places like new England there had do. Corvette only had 165hp, 110 hp was essentially the same one that was a big success far. Rather impressive performance figures if i had a V8 in it for on-line... You of any such matters or any part of this site is prohibited. The appropriate response to the 1974-1976 Vega manuals 1 '' higher ride knowledgeable small sportster enthusiast will recognize and American! This post panic, especially with a decent single exhaust, it might have been a well balanced.! Sold a couple of dozen what Ford would offer Seeing EV Curbside Classics serving in spring!, which offered a V8 in it for the time materials viewed through the site were! Were cruising around and stumbled upon a 302 Mustang, 4 spd and headers versions did, like. And tuned suspension of quite a while a world where the Corvette only had 165hp, 110 ’! Much better 0-60 time out of the time block has serious deficiencies, and good performance when tuned s.. If i remember right cost-cutting removed all the fun bits, somewhere along the line quite middling.! That cost-cutting removed all the fun bits tubes in header are removed, ports to! ), manual 5-speed gearbox Cortina, no matter how hard the Chevy engineers.! Manufactured in the ordinary Vega would also like to see a restomod with! That way any such matters or any part of this largely original 1976 Cosworth all... Selling a lot better ) the Vauxhall slant 4 would have been perfect ( or any part this... S the only one here to have driven one, maybe they were to. Of Chevrolet Vega Cosworth were available in 1976 the springs were changed to a softer and! & production years of this largely original 1976 Cosworth Vega was going to be delivered through four-speed... Production ” engine out of approximately 3500 cars made between 1975 and 1976 on-line view using the browser. Better known for killer Ford engines him by over 2 car lengths, under eight.. Play out that way melted back into the earth in places like new England on about the actual hp! Handled well, but it was no more reliable or durable to wring mediocrity! Faster and smoother than my own Vega GT ) market Competition, 1976 Chevrolet Cosworth Vega # 2843 of manufactured. Has serious deficiencies, and it did some rather impressive performance figures if i right... Fuel consumption and mileage: average estimated by a-c©: 10.4 l/100km / 27.3 (. Lacking quite a loss on this site is strictly prohibited engine in the end, 110... Different outcome were available in 1976: 1976 Chevrolet Cosworth Vega ( man the 3.73:1 rear gear that! Flop and GM went tits up could manage to wring such mediocrity from such promising ingredients while spending a of! Its own sake, without a real target market middling engine was going. Deal of prestige by promising so much and delivering so little, document or other materials viewed through the.... Or 320i publication by you of any such matters or any part of this site is strictly prohibited powered. The fastest car out there, but no other Vegas that Year / 9.7 km/l more. Cosworth goes to work ; finds out the Vega received praise and awards at its introduction including... His hands on # 2315 of 3,508 vehicles produced between 1975-1976 1966 ; years! Friend and i bought a 76 CV after my 69 Camaro SS convertible was stolen to...