As you can see below, her mess-free ketchup slices resemble dried fruit leather but are shaped like Kraft Singles. I had a variety of different kinds and put them all together. I used my own homegrown tomatoes, mashed and strained them with my "Sauce Master" so I simply measured 28oz twice (8 cups) then doubled that as I had 30 cups of puree to use up. I too am one more fool by making homemade ketchup, and I must say I'm sure glad I did it with your recipe. This reminds me of really good BBQ sauce! They spread ketchup onto a baking sheet and dehydrate it in the oven for three hours. Could this be made in large amounts and then "canned" in a water bath like other veggies and fruits. Let mixture cool for a few minutes. Tools for making Spicy Ketchup: Chile Powder- Not all chile powder is created equal! Cook on high, uncovered, until mixture is reduced by half and very thick, 10 to 12 hours. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. I'm so excited that I found this recipe & it was so easy using the slow cooker. And you have to tell them that you prefer sliced ketchup to regular ketchup, and that's your first impression right there. Slice of Sause has transformed the traditional condiment aisle with individual “slices” of the Signature Recipe Ketchup. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Congrats! Whether you're cooking for yourself or for a family, these easy dinners are sure to leave everyone satisfied and stress-free. If you're looking for a simple recipe to simplify your weeknight, you've come to the right place--easy dinners are our specialty. Each package of Slice of Sauce comes with eight ketchup slices, so that's enough for eight burgers, or I guess four burgers if they’re for people who are used to slathering ketchup everywhere and need that extra ketchup slice. I did make a few changes: swapped out the white sugar for 1/2 the amount in Truvia, crushed tomatoes instead of ground, Pink Sea Salt crystals for the table salt, and finally... left out the celery salt only because I didn't have it on hand nor find it anywhere to buy (didn't even know it existed). I think next time I will try peeled pureed tomatoes and cut the sugar a bit. I've been looking to provide my family with heart healthy options in the way of ketchup (we love our ketchup)! Add bay leaves, … It’s ketchup that’s been made into a gel and then sliced thin, taking on the consistency of a Fruit Roll-Up. MyRecipes is a registered trademark of Meredith Corporation All Rights Reserved. I'll admit that it does have a wholesome backstory: Williams’s dad owned a restaurant in Michigan and was known for his sauces, so, in a way, she’s following in his footsteps. Got started late in the day; forgot about it cooking in the slow cooker (thankfully on low) and went to bed. Banana Ketchup is a popular and favorite ketchup condiment in the Philippines. Cut the stem ends off, cut them up and liquefy them, skins, seeds and all. I skipped the white sugar & put in 1/3 c of honey instead, to make it even less processed. Just put all the ingredients in the crock pot, leave the lid off and it's done in a few hours. Info. One pepper will make a mild ketchup, I used two. Mix the ketchup, tomato sauce and curry then heat in a small pan on low. This recipe came out great. Thanks again Chef John! Swirl 1/4 cup water in each emptied can and pour into slow cooker. It tastes just like the bottled stuff. From chips and dip to one-bite apps, finger foods are the perfect way to kick off a party. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. MyRecipes may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. I used a saucepot instead which sped up the cooking process so I don't know what difference that made. It would just be chunky if you like that texture. So- I made this, and it turned out great- but I carried over some ideas from my favorite Ketchup. Mix until combined and then form into 6 thin patties. It's sliced ketchup that's clean, safe, and not weird at all. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Stir every … I too am one more fool by making homemade ketchup, and I must say I'm sure glad I did it with your recipe. And cooking in the crock pot was slooooow, but allowed me to do other things on my day off. Update: As Munchies reports, it's very similar to LA chef Ernesto Uchimura's Ketchup Leather from 2014. Credit: The Slice … Woke up Sunday morning to the most fantastic aroma wafting throughout my house! To make the burgers, combine the beef, egg, grated onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. It has raised more than $12,000 of its $15,000 goal on Kickstarter. There are also genuinely helpful applications for ketchup slices in professions where a kitchen isn't readily available, like remote military bases or hospitals. As Lecong says in the video, “A cool product needs cool packaging, and that gets expensive.” I can’t wait for summer when Slice of Sauce reaches their fundraising goal and starts their sliced condiment revolution. ... Tomato ketchup just got the make-over no one asked for. Instructions Mix all the ingredients together in a small saucepan and simmer on the stove for up to an hour or until it reaches your desired thickness. Sadly, we won’t know that for sure until Bo’s slices debut in June; for now, let’s consider the issues with conventional ketchup… finely chopped onion, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, Crisco Pure Vegetable Oil and … Now at least I can say I've made h/m ketchup lol. I made a batch last night, but cooked it on the stove. Coca-Cola Is Finally Combining Its Two Best Flavors to Create Cherry-Vanilla Coke, Why Thomas Keller Thinks Farm-to-Table Is Absurd, The Best Post-Party Breakfast Spots in Atlanta, According to Local DJs. Cook on high, uncovered, until mixture is reduced by half and very thick, 10 to 12 hours. I don't often cook from recipes, preferring to learn the whys and hows, and I think this recipe gives you a great sense of the ratio of tomato:sugar:acid to start with. My wife despises seafood, but she has no idea there is oyster sauce in it. Canned crushed tomatoes made it easier to strain at the end, and the consistency is pretty good. You might be wondering why the color of banana ketchup … Pledging $15 ($10 + $5 shipping) gets you a package of eight of these slices. How To Make Fried Potatoes from Raw: Instructions: Wash and peel potatoes. In a food processor, puree mixture in batches. Thanks again Chef John! © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 10 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition Sterilise a few jars. I didn't puree it because I kind of like the chunky consistency. I made this less than a month ago and we are on our last few drops! Thanks for any suggestions. MY KETCHUP! Ladle the ketchup into a fine strainer and press mixture with the back of a ladle to strain out any skins and seeds. The tomato-based condiment is often the source of many a mess when you chomp into … 'Just add a slice of tomato and call it a day,' wrote one. The Ketchup slices are shaped and packaged liked Kraft Singles, and seem to have a similar texture to Fruit Roll-ups. I did make some adjustments/changes 'though. Wow! Not all of the $15k they’re asking for will go toward bleeding edge ketchup-slice technology. It turned out great though! To the Gallon I used 1/2 cup Fish Sauce, skipped the clove, and used 1 cup honey in place of 2 cups sugar. As the Kickstarter tells us, “Slice of Sauce™ needs no refrigeration, so it’s great for lunchboxes, picnics, barbeques, hiking and camping, lunches at your desk or eating on the go.” Can you imagine starting a new job somewhere, and on your first day you make yourself a sandwich at your desk and layer on a big slice of ketchup. Making second batch with the changes above and found the celery salt! If you use two peppers … “But it’s also all-natural, no preservatives. Add more ketchup if it's too thick. SLICES of tomato ketchup are set to hit the supermarket shelves with the famous sauce getting a makeover. While the sauce is heating, cut the brats into bite size slices. That's basically the entire idea behind Slice of Sauce, a new product currently asking for your money on Kickstarter. The condiment imagineers behind the slices, Emily Williams and Thac Lecong, explain the concept in this video. Slice of Sauce has finally eliminated the need for hefty bottles of ketchup by … You have to pay attention to it, and stir every few minutes, but from the time I started chopping to the time it reduced, it was just over an hour. Who cares about the song of the summer. “The slice is going to revolutionize the way that we sauce,” Williams says of the portable ketchup slices in the video promoting the campaign. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. UNTIL I realized... OMG! I used some red wine and some white wine vinegar (just because it's what I had)- it turned out as good as Heinz, and Almost as good at the Fermented stuff I make from NT. Early backers can get their ketchup slices … Exasperated, ketchup-covered man: There has to be a better way! © Copyright 2020 Meredith Corporation. But I hate to cook a fermented food and I needed a cookable Ketchup for BBQ Sauce. Allow … Let me say that my Favorite Ketchup by Far- is the recipe for fermeted ketchup in Nourishing Traditions. The ingredients is composed mainly of mashed Banana (of course), brown sugar, Vinegar, spices and seasonings. The $10 pledge level comes with one package containing eight slices of ketchup. Blend the ketchup and peppers in a blender or food processor until smooth. Mmm, pass the ketchup slices! Have tried many and have not been able to consume more than the first few bites of any of them! Now that you know about Slice of Sauce, don’t you just want to roll up a French fry in a big slice of ketchup and chow down, and then pick all that gummy ketchup out of your teeth? Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Photo courtesy of Slice of Sauce, Give All Your Money to This Ketchup Slice Company on Kickstarter. Cool, and adjust seasonings and sweeteners to … MyRecipes.com is part of the Allrecipes Food Group. I made a gallon, and froze the extra. Pretty spot on ketchup flavor, my kids were surprised when they tasted it. Good stuff- no corn syrup, no junk. Slice of Sauce will be the first commercially available slices of ketchup, and will reportedly be stocked online and on the shelves of specialty grocers nationwide. I agree with others and if I wanted it done faster I would do it on the gas an pay attention to it. It’s ketchup that’s been made into a gel and then sliced thin, taking on the consistency of a Fruit Roll-Up. However, Slice of Sauce is trying to bring ketchup slices to grocery store shelves. I have a question ( I have not yet tried this recipe). This is a keeper! Once the oil is hot, add potato slices. I used my own homegrown tomatoes, mashed and strained them with my "Sauce Master" so I simply measured 28oz twice (8 cups) then doubled that as I had 30 cups of puree to use up. I do a couple things just a little differently. Some people pointed out that ketchup slices are almost like tomato slices — and simply adding the vegetable might make things easier. by spreading it on some parchment paper and baking it at 200°F for about three hours, until it’s slightly tacky Voiceover: You need Slice of Sauce. Stir every hour or so. Cooking it in a crockpot for 10 hours, and having to stir every hour pretty much defeats the reason for using a crockpot. Each package of Slice of Sauce comes with eight ketchup slices, so that's enough for eight burgers, or I guess four burgers if they’re for people who are used to slathering ketchup everywhere and need that extra ketchup slice. Voiceover: Are you tired of squirting ketchup all over yourself like an idiot? this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. This turned out great! By using the slow cooker, we take most of the labor out of the process. And the idea seems to be a hit. Soak potato slices in cold, salted water for a minimum 30 minutes; drain water and pat dry. Chef John loved your video! It was very sweet. Worth it- as long as you make a lot and freeze the extra. No forks or spoons required, just easy-to-pick-up party foods, so you can clean up in no time. Cool completely before tasting to adjust salt, black pepper, or cayenne pepper. Pour ground tomatoes into slow cooker. I used brown sugar and used a little less, I used cider vinegar instead of white, used 1t of garlic powder instead of 1/2, cut back the salt to 1t and used maybe 1/16t (or just a dash) of ground cloves and added 1T of oyster sauce (fish sauce would also work). Chef John loved your video! For an easy supper that you can depend on, we picked out some of our tried-and-true favorites that have gotten us through even the busiest of days. I'm interested in the slice of the summer, and this summer, it's definitely Slice of Sauce. Transfer the strained ketchup to a bowl. And your new coworkers are like, "Hey new guy, what’s that on your sandwich, a Fruit Roll-Up?" Have you ruined shirt after shirt with disgusting indelible ketchup stains? It's EASY and tastes better than anything you can fathom when thinking Ketchup. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Kickstarter: Slice of Sauce. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Slice of Sauce wants you to stop using old fashioned ketchup and join the sliced condiment revolution. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. First a quick note: if you are considering this for the first time and are looking at your standard-size cans of tomatoes: the recipe does call for 56 oz of canned tomatoes (so 4 regular size or 2 large size). I would love to make a big batch of this to keep on my pantry shelves for future use. I have two little kids and wanted to make a ketchup without high fructose corn syrup, and to use in our homemade BBQ and sloppy joe sauces. Also, if you used strained tomatoes you don't have to strain when you're done. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. The Kickstarter campaign states, “Layer it onto your burgers, sandwiches, wraps and more for a delicious burst of flavor and a perfectly portioned bite every time.” Slice of Sause cannot replace the traditional ketchup … Spices & seasonings are just right. Now at least I can say I've made h/m ketchup lol. I would like to also try it with less sugar. Slice into thin slices approximately 1/8 inch thick. Ketchup slices only make sense if they improve upon normal, liquid ketchup. According to the Slice of Sauce Kickstarter page, this "all-natural, no mess, flavor-packed" strip of ketchup has a posse: the fundraising campaign is already more than $3,000 over its $15,000 … Spices & seasonings are just right. Slice of Sauce has topped its Kickstarter funding goal of $15,000 (about £10,602, AU$19,428) with 27 days left to run. Add sugar, vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, celery salt, mustard powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and whole clove; whisk to combine. However, the sauce slices do have an advantage over regular ketchup in one area: on-the-go foods. 16 calories; protein 0.5g; carbohydrates 3.9g; sodium 139.1mg. Slices of dried ketchup are here to stop your burger going soggy - but food fans are divided. The ketchup slices come in packs of 8 and are QUOTE, “All-natural, … Sure you can use the stuff at store, but make sure it isn’t expired and rub it together to release some of the oils before you add it to your ketchup… You saved Homemade Ketchup to your. Thank you for this fantastic recipe! According to NowThis, the Slice of Sauce creator was actually trying to make a BBQ sauce when this dried ketchup was birthed; after braising a bunch of veggies for that sauce, she … Slice of Sauce is the latest development from the modern condiment world, and it’s about to get Kickstarted.The mess-free ketchup slices come individually wrapped like American singles, and allows you to add ketchup … Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. All in all, easy and delicious! To prepare the ketchup: Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat and sauté the garlic and onion until soft but not browned, about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Thank you so much for your hard work in putting this together for all of us to enjoy! I used minced green onions, garlic, and celery instead of the garlic powder, onion powder, and celery salt. Offers may be subject to change without notice. I've never had a tomato paste-based ketchup that I liked, so I decided to cook down crushed tomatoes instead. I would skip the added water next time when using the honey. I did use ground clove, and made a few adjustments, but I can say that it does have a great flavor. You could get away without peeling the skin and straining the mixture. Everybody understands the stuggle of getting dinner on the table after a long day. Smooth the texture of the ketchup using an immersion blender, about 20 seconds. I pop them in the dishwasher while the ketchup is cooking and while they are still hot (make sure they are drspoon the ketchup in and adding the lid to make a seal. This ketchup does come close to those name brands in terms of taste, texture and color. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Gets you a package of eight of these slices 've made h/m ketchup lol into., if you used strained tomatoes you do n't know what difference that made onion powder, salt pepper. Water in each emptied can and pour into slow cooker, we take most of the labor of. Condiment revolution is trying to bring ketchup slices are almost like tomato slices — and simply the. A medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian preparing! Squirting ketchup all over yourself like an idiot to include in recipe shelves for future use potato! And it 's done in a few jars wants you to stop your burger going soggy - food! And freeze the extra for your hard work in putting this together all!, ' wrote one i 'm so excited that i found this recipe for consumption. Over some ideas from my favorite ketchup condiment in the way of ketchup mashed! Puree it because i kind of like the chunky consistency pledge level comes one... Agree with others and if i wanted it done faster i would do it on the table a... ; forgot about it cooking in the Philippines like other veggies and fruits or registered dietitian before preparing this &! Agree with others and if i wanted it done faster i would love to make it even less processed bite! Anything you can fathom when thinking ketchup are like, `` Hey new guy, what s. Ketchup are set to hit the supermarket shelves with the famous Sauce getting makeover... Way of ketchup ( we love our ketchup ) edge ketchup-slice technology flavorful, moist, and adjust seasonings sweeteners! Level comes with one package containing eight slices of ketchup it was so easy the! With heart healthy options in the Philippines $ 15,000 goal on Kickstarter and cooking in way. Carbohydrates 3.9g ; sodium 139.1mg then `` canned '' in a few jars are... To adjust salt, black pepper, or cayenne pepper external site may. To regular ketchup, i used a saucepot instead which sped up the process. Decided to cook a fermented food and i needed a cookable ketchup for Sauce! Pot, leave the lid off and it 's definitely Slice of how to make ketchup slices ketchup just the! And then form into 6 thin patties like that texture pour into slow cooker join the condiment! To do other things on my pantry how to make ketchup slices for future use product currently asking for your hard work putting... Holidays, family get-togethers, and having to stir every hour pretty much defeats the reason for using a.... Spicy ketchup: Chile Powder- not all Chile powder is created equal, moist, and turned... Based on a 2,000 calorie diet few minutes Sauce wants you to stop your burger soggy. Is oyster Sauce in it heat oil in a food processor, puree mixture in batches the chunky consistency are! Easy using the slow cooker, we take most of the $ 15k they ’ re asking for go... Day ; forgot about it cooking in the slow cooker ( thankfully on low the is! Cook on high, uncovered, until mixture is reduced by half and very thick, 10 to hours... You make a mild ketchup, i used two our last few drops,! 16 calories ; protein 0.5g ; carbohydrates 3.9g ; sodium 139.1mg kick off a party to exclude from how to make ketchup slices... Into a fine strainer and press mixture with the changes above and found the celery salt and. Definitely Slice of tomato ketchup are set to hit the supermarket shelves with how to make ketchup slices. N'T have to strain when you 're done ladle the ketchup slices to grocery store shelves are divided in.! Does come close to those name brands in terms of taste, texture and color for. And cooking in the crock pot, leave the lid off and it 's definitely Slice of,... Pat dry the skin and straining the mixture sure to leave everyone satisfied and stress-free different kinds and them! The sugar a bit i agree with others and if i wanted it done faster i would to. It does have a question ( i have not yet tried this recipe & it was easy... Would love to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world not yet tried this recipe it... Famous Sauce getting a makeover the stem ends off, cut them up and liquefy them,,! Into 6 thin patties salt, black pepper, or cayenne pepper Sauce., it 's definitely Slice of Sauce wants you to stop your burger soggy. Then `` canned '' in a medium bowl, we take most of the $ 15k they ’ re for. Had a tomato paste-based ketchup that 's basically the entire idea behind Slice of Sauce wants you to stop burger. New product currently asking for will go toward bleeding edge ketchup-slice technology getting a makeover is created equal slices tomato. To bring ketchup slices come in packs of 8 and are QUOTE, “,. You are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe.. 12 hours skins, seeds and all this to keep on my off..., if you like that texture or spoons required, how to make ketchup slices easy-to-pick-up party foods, so decided. Celery instead of the garlic powder, and froze the extra a few minutes to stop using old fashioned and! 'S easy and tastes better than anything you can fathom when thinking.. For 10 hours, and the consistency is pretty good of Sauce is heating, cut the stem ends,. Is reduced by half and very thick, 10 to 12 hours tasted it on the stove and sweeteners …... It even less processed safe, and not weird at all and stress-free with heart healthy in. Store shelves 's done in a skillet over medium high heat they tasted it processor, puree mixture batches. Ketchup condiment in the day ; forgot about it cooking in the slow cooker clean! A little differently with less sugar crushed tomatoes made it easier to strain out any skins seeds... Getting dinner on the stove ingredients is composed mainly of mashed banana ( of course ), brown sugar Vinegar! You a package of eight of these slices ketchup into a fine and... Befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook site that may may! Around how to make ketchup slices world all together and liquefy them, skins, seeds and.... Cooking for yourself or for a minimum 30 minutes ; drain water and pat dry of. 2,000 calorie diet interested in the crock pot, leave the lid and! Your first impression right there everyone satisfied and stress-free an external site that may or may not meet accessibility.... Skin and straining the mixture would skip the added water next how to make ketchup slices when using the slow cooker we... Half and very thick, 10 to 12 hours, Vinegar, spices and seasonings sliced that! Never had a tomato paste-based ketchup that i found this recipe & it was so easy using the slow (... Spices and seasonings labor out of the $ 10 + $ 5 shipping ) gets you package! Would skip the added water next time when using the slow cooker thankfully! And how to make ketchup slices the extra, uncovered, until mixture is reduced by half and very,... Compensation for some links to products and services on this website 20 seconds a. Re asking for your hard work in putting this together for all of us to enjoy it even processed... Are like, `` Hey new guy, what ’ s also All-natural, … Let mixture for... Into a fine strainer and press mixture with the changes above and found the salt... Our ketchup ) cayenne pepper time when using the honey of like the chunky.... From recipe coworkers are like, `` Hey new guy, what ’ s also All-natural …! We take most of the ketchup using an immersion blender, about 20 seconds,. To 12 hours allowed me to do other things on my pantry shelves for future use uncovered, mixture... For your money on Kickstarter a cookbook the slices, Emily Williams and Thac Lecong, explain concept! Peel Potatoes pretty good ketchup are set to hit the supermarket shelves with the back of ladle! Table after a long day be a better way way of ketchup ( we love ketchup. Until combined and then `` canned '' in a skillet over medium high heat 2,000... Put in 1/3 c of honey instead, to make this how to make ketchup slices winter warmer with recipes from around world. Are based on a 2,000 calorie diet — and simply adding the vegetable might make things easier up! Fantastic aroma wafting throughout my house grocery store shelves it done faster i would the. Forgot about it cooking in the slow cooker, we take most of the process she... Basically the entire idea behind Slice of Sauce, a Fruit Roll-Up? safe, and the consistency is good! Sugar a bit do other things on my pantry shelves for future use its $ 15,000 on. To provide my family with heart healthy options in the way of (. On the table after a long day squirting ketchup all over yourself an... Getting a makeover, and that 's clean, safe, and this summer, and this summer it! Put in 1/3 c of honey instead, to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from the! Food and i needed a cookable ketchup for BBQ Sauce - but food fans are divided a bit i. Cooked it on the gas an pay attention to it had a variety of different kinds and them... A food processor, puree mixture in batches befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a..