It will teach you all about the exotic pet trade. Slow Loris are poached from the forest, have their teeth ripped out while conscious and then are sold for pets because of their CUTE factor. Why you can't have one: Like other threatened and uncommon exotics, these animals are not in the private sector and are distributed amongst accredited zoos only, as they should be. The tarsier is an animal with comically gigantic eyes. I personally don't believe that any person can claim that a single animal type is appropriate for another person without knowing that person or his or her education /very/ well before making this statement. I respect your writings, particularly your pro-zoo conservation stand...I just thought a little constructive criticism might aid a future article project along the same subject. Why you can't have one: Koala bears are highly endangered, and Australia has restrictions on which animals can be imported out of the country. It's too bad. of course they are more then what most people can/should get, and of course we should let them live in the wild to be hunted, eaten and generally die of untreated illnesses and diseases... ok last part was trolling ;). They have a highly specialized diet of eucalyptus, which must be grown on-site to support these animals. It basically follows the story of one, ONE, bad owner who had no business keeping what he had, and various other insubstantial criticisms about reptile shows. #Thailand #nightlife” I don't know of any laws against it but you probably need special permission to import animals. Description: The slow loris has short, woolly fur that can range in color from pale yellow to light brownish-gray to reddish-brown. Several species of this unique animal exist. Unfortunately I live in the tropics ... Great hub. Mostly, the litter consists of one offspring, but rarely, it can be two. The Dreamwork film Kung Fu Panda features an anthropomorphic animated version. A better alternative for many people may be lower generations of Savannah and Bengal cats. While some people do in fact have some of the animals you mentioned in your post as "pets," they should not be kept as pets. It is nocturnal. The animals are even said to have a distinctive language. There are plenty of macaws with pink in their foliage, and thus the general public refers to them as "pink macaws", regardless of whether that is the proper name for the bird. In 2011, we established a multi-disciplinary team designed to tackle the illegal trade in slow lorises. The genus is made up of 3 species: – Sunda slow loris. The documentary that you mentioned, I have seen, and there is nothing enlightening. I realise I may have ruffled your feathers but I am afraid that is the gravity of the situation. The ears are almost completely hidden in the fur. While you are obviously permitted to have your own opinion, many supporters of private ownership and conservation efforts would call someone who stands in opposition to private ownership "ignorant.". Melissa A Smith (author) from New York on February 27, 2014: Thank you Everyday Miracles . They can easily out tire a cat or dog and be nowhere near tired. Pet Slow Loris As Pets Unique Shirt Gift Call In Late Sticker. The kinkajou closely resembles a primate but is actually a procyonid, which is a taxonomic group containing raccoons, ringtail cats, and coatimundis. Captive-bred raccoons are legal in some states in the US. Melissa A Smith (author) from New York on April 20, 2015: It depends on the species, the place. Tree kangaroos are thick, fuzzy, and people often find them very appealing. As a trained biologist and someone who has worked in the zoological field for the last 7 years, I find your alternatives to these animals quite ludicrous. Slow Loris are a rip-roaring acoustic/electric song and barn dance band with an original sound and hot rhythms. Find great deals on eBay for slow loris pet. Now once again, since I can never be trusted because I'm not 'credible', no more of your garbage is being posted on my blog. These animals haven't made it to the private sector because they are very difficult to breed. Marmosets of any sort are the size of pocket pets, but they are anything but an animal like a dwarf rabbit or hamster. Why you can't have one: These animals are sold as pets sometimes in other countries but are heavily regulated in the States. I am proud of each and every one of them. All of the species are native to India, Borneo, Vietnam, Bangladesh and parts of China. They are often removed directly from the wild, their teeth painfully yanked out (but slow lorises are not actually venomous), and shipped to other countries. However, most of us will never know. I'd be unlikely to ever purchase another Savannah Monitor as a pet, but I'd be quite happy to take on another Burmese Python -- with everything that entails, and with a great deal of knowledge of what they eat, the sizes they reach, and the risk factors of ownership, as well as the fact that reptiles lack "conscience.". Afraid readers of your hub pages will see the real you that is in evidence on the Amazon discussion forum? It is not impossible for a private owner to provide for these aquatic birds, but it is not likely that responsible, educated owners would patronize a store like this. Why you can't have one: Cheetahs are rare in the United States and are mainly found in accredited zoos. I normally wouldn't comment but being Australian this is a pet hate of mine. Many people love koalas, and I am not sure why. These animals have striking coloration and a superficial resemblance to their namesakes. One of the main threats to loris populations in Indonesia, forcing their numbers in the wild to decline rapidly is the rampant illegal pet trade. One point though: From what I know, kinkajous are far more energetic, and far more likely to bite than a slow loris. Melissa can (and has) successfully write about the proper care of a spotted genet or a green iguana, but she may not be able to cover the topic of whether or not a cougar makes a good pet because she hasn't had the opportunity to experience ownership of a large wild cat. I was not intending to insult, merely to try to help point her in another, deeper direction. Melissa A Smith (author) from New York on February 14, 2014: Yes Logan, I have a genet and from what I read, they are more 'tolerable' over meerkats. It's not like the article is saying "Don't get a dog, get an exotic animal!" I meant plumage. 59 likes. Maybe some people would be more than capable of keeping them. I enjoyed reading about the pets that nobody can and should have. Actually, I don’t need to do that – they can see for themselves by reading your responses to TSquare on your Genet hub page. . You are calling the author of this article and those replying to it "ignorant" (a word which is, combined with its repetition, highly offensive to most people) without supplying any concrete facts with regard to the statements that you've made. Home » Slow Loris Investigations. Cheetahs are one of the first animals you see in the powerful Circle of Life opening in The Lion King, and they were featured in the film Duma. For obvious reasons, they wouldn't make a suitable pet for people. Serval enrichment is not much different from that of a dog or active cat, it's all fully achievable if the owner -cares-. Please Choose an animal to adopt. I honestly think that by digging deeper you will find for yourself what I am trying to explain to you, from there you should be able to write a very useful and insightful article on the keeping of exotic animals. It's feasible that claims of captive-bred slow lorises are fabrications. They are loud; extremely high energy. I have another article on cheetahs as pets that basically states what you are saying, and I believe the link is in this article. There are pygmy species of jerboa, as well as larger jerboas that have rabbit-like ears known as Euchoreutes naso. In fact, these birds are purchased illegally in India as pets by 'muggles' due to the craze. Does animal welfare and ethics come into this or is it purely based on legalities of ownership? Slow loris lifespan can range between 15 to 25 years. Yes, they are smuggled within their country so that they can be brought here. I like your hub about the exotic pets. Whereas the desire to own something is driven by emotion and impulse. Captive sand cat populations should be reserved for those actively breeding them in participation with a species survival plan. Tatyana Shchepetkina 27,293 views. The red panda is not to be confused with the panda bear, which they are not closely related to. Red pandas aren't pandas. Is it possible to get these animals as pets in the United States (without owning a zoo)? Due to this, conservation groups retaliated and implored viewers to consider the unfortunate source of slow loris pets. International Animal Rescue help suffering animals such as slow lorises. I would also recommend a genet over a raccoon, which don't make good pets at all. Registered Charity number 1118277 | While these cats are certainly big compared to a typical tabby, they are not muscular like lions and hunt by chasing down their prey and tripping them. Explore releases from Slow Loris at Discogs. Meerkats are actually mongooses and make pretty bad pets, although some people keep them in Asia and even Europe. That being said, the idea that it is wrong to own a serval is just your OPINION. Update 2018: One seller started offering sand cats for the hefty price of $20,000 for a pair. Melissa A Smith (author) from New York on February 26, 2014: I would just like to add that Koala's are not bears. The slow loris is a species affected by the illegal pet trade, poachers catch them and remove their poisonous teeth. From as little as 14p a day you can make a difference to these highly endangered primates. Adriana Mile from Chisinau, Moldova on November 15, 2013: Insane Mundane from Earth on September 01, 2013: Yeah, my username represents the majority of the inhabitants on this planet, not me... : ). The slow loris has a tail hidden in the dense fur of its body. Like the jerboa, their imports are restricted due to the African rodent embargo, but there are enough captive animals to sustain the American pet trade. Kinkajous may be legal in more states that have bans on wild animals. Kangaroo rats are not rats. Enlightening and sad. Our primate rescue centre is set in Ciapus, on the island of Java. However, like the panda bear, the red panda are threatened in the wild due to habitat loss, although they are classified by IUCN as vulnerable with only 10,000 mature individuals existing in the wild. Melissa A Smith (author) from New York on September 01, 2013: That is what I plan Insane Mundane. That isn't helpful, and it appears -- to me -- that your purpose here is to ruffle feathers more than it is to inform. The animals require more room than a traditional kiddie pool. Some interesting looking animals. For anyone interested, the discussion is called "Customer Discussions: Keeping cats indoors is cruel" (you can put this into the Google and fine it). They look like lorises, and move like them too, and unlike the slow loris and kinkajou, if they *do* bite you, you won't require any special treatment. Does the Slow Loris Make a Good Pet. Many animals such as meerkats, sloths, and slow lorises have risen in popularity due to being featured in TV shows and viral YouTube videos. Worldwide. Slow Loris is an endangered species and the biggest cause behind it is illegal wildlife trade. Question: why can't anyone own a koala bear? Whilst I would agree, based on evidence of people I know personally, that parrots in certain circumstances can make good pets (depending on the word's definition) they are also extremely delicate with regards to environment, and problems such as feather pulling and stereotyping can result from a bad home. Emperor penguins are obviously only suitable for captivity in publicly funded professional zoos and aquariums, but there are smaller penguins that tolerate warmer temperatures which originate from Africa and New Zealand (however, here is one owner of a king penguin, a bird which originates from Sub-Antarctic regions). Pygmy marmosets are a particular type of marmoset that is incredibly small, and pictures of them circulate and induce a lot of "Awws." It also gives the lie to the whole article, in which the author pretends to promote responsible ownership, and then admits that she would break the law to get one because it looks cute. And, although we can't have North American birds of prey, what about birds from other countries? I would highly recommend you all watch the documentary "The Elephant in the Living Room." Melissa A Smith (author) from New York on March 04, 2015: I've just seen so many abuse cases in the exotic pet trade to encourage people to get exotic animasls. Oh my, please do. Furthermore the suggestions of kinkajou, servals, wallabies, any primate at all, fennec fox, prairie dogs and bushbabies are very ignorant. There are always curious eyes to see exotic pets. My point, however, is that no amount of research is equal to the experience of ownership. Insane Mundane from Earth on August 31, 2013: @ Mr. Jones: We look forward to reading your future Hubs about exotic pets... LOL! Their eyes are a bit smaller, but they are also nocturnal. Prairie dogs stand bipedally like meerkats, live a similar lifestyle in the wild, and are not prone to aggressive attacks toward strangers in captivity. Marmosets are small, New World monkeys in a group along with tamarins called callitrichids. It would be pretty awesome to own a Cheetah or Snowy Owl. Surely the welfare of an animal is more important than having a cute pet? They adapt well to human households, so there is no need to simulate the desert to care for them. Wtf is a pink macaw? In order to address these issues, Melissa (or any other author) would need to address each and every animal individually, with pros and cons of ownership. Melissa A Smith (author) from New York on April 07, 2015: You don't seem to get it. In captivity, their enclosure must be kept arid to ward off upper respiratory infections that are a common cause of their death in captivity. Really?? Obviously most of my experience is with reptiles. The word “loris” originated from the Dutch language which means ‘clown’. In other words, around 6x6 feet minimum. Haha, you know your user name is far more fitting for 'Mr. What you /do/ know is that other people have come to alternative conclusions based on their research. The slow lorises are either small or medium-sized with length ranging from 18 to 38 cm. Raccoons originating from the wild shouldn't be kept as pets in most cases, and those in need of rehabilitation should be given to certified wildlife rehabilitation centers. If you read my comment again I try to make it clear I mean no disrespect or insult. Hannah strikes again, with a link that says: " A pink macaw taken from Brazil will sell for as much as $2,000 in Italy.". You just mean to say that they're not typically available privately right? From $3.64. However, owls as pets would require a large flight home, and they are not house pets. Expense has nothing to do with ease of care. So your comments are valid. Melissa A Smith (author) from New York on August 08, 2014: If by HA you mean Hawaii then absolutely not. If you aren't willing to dedicate the time any money, DON'T GET ONE. This bird is also responsible for the O RLY meme. Melissa A Smith (author) from New York on July 01, 2014: Zoos like to keep animals away from private owners, as of recent. Her hubs are incredibly well-researched and she writes with a great deal of authority as the owner of exotic pets herself. Such animals require strict protection. They're legal for a limited number of purposes, including being zoo exhibits. North America. However, other countries do sell them. We have witnessed several successes in law enforcement operations undertaken, of which the major ones resulted in prosecutions of perpetrators and a large number of lorises confiscated. I don't think her beliefs are ignorant I think that the beliefs that some of these alternate species make better pets is ignorant. As of 2009, there were only 200 individuals in 45 facilities around the world. then a serval will make a miserable, horrendous pet for you, so don't bother. (They don't look much like penguins, but are so cute that you won't care.). I believe Pygmy marmosets do exist in the private market but they are very rare, I seem to remember them being advertised in the animal finders guide once. The popularity of these Asian primates took off when a private owner of one uploaded a video of their pet, named Sonya, getting its under arms tickled. But I'd be interested to know what it is /specifically/ about what Melissa has written here that is ignorant, since I respect her opinion, as to many of the others who are reading her hub pages. Voted up and useful! Slow Loris. 236.7k Likes, 3,039 Comments - @badgalriri on Instagram: “Look who was talkin dirty to me! Becki Rizzuti from Indiana, USA on February 13, 2014: I'll be getting a serval in about five years. Provide some proof on your statement that "Most of the parrots you speak of are being brought over illegally from other countries and are being smuggled like drugs over the border.". Incredible footage of leopard behaviour during impala kill - … Warning: This is a potentially dream-killing hub for the adventurous pet keepers out there in the US. Melissa A Smith (author) from New York on September 10, 2014: Pilot whales aren't whales. A gerbil is an herbivore, a serval is a carnivore; polar opposites. There are only small populations existing in captivity in the United States, and they are probably restricted only to accredited zoos. This is deeply irresponsible. If you want a penguin because of how the penguins walk, I'd suggest runner ducks. This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Pathetic. Btw, what do you mean when you say some of these animals are "restricted" to zoos and such? I've owned exotic pets myself and have fallen in love with them, and I wouldn't give up that opportunity to "touch the wild" for anything. Not by law? If you do this, I will restore your miserable comments. Did you think I was seriously suggesting that someone in a spaceship drop some Jerboas down here? As that may be true, they are also nocturnal. I would love to have a white owl or a penguin. Free Shipping. If anything, the pet trade will increase their numbers so that their DNA still exists in the world. From 2013 to 2016, we conducted law enforcement activities in West Java, Sumatra and West Kalimantan together with the Indonesian authorities resulting in 11 seizures of 447 slow lorises and 19 individual arrests of traders as well as members of a slow loris pet lover group and a trade syndicate. They have a round head with large, forward-facing eyes. I hope these liars get theirs, someday. I must, however, point out that your article is somewhat misguided in the alternatives you refer to. They are also difficult to breed and maintain outside of natural-esque colonies, so their populations are not high even where captive-bred animals are available. If a person can keep a gerbil, they can keep a serval, period. This is a contrast to other cats such as tigers, which reside in captivity and private ownership in far higher numbers. While in the past they were placed in the bear and raccoon family, recent phylogenetic evidence suggests they are in their own taxonomic group. Your black and white dismissal of all 'wild' animals as 'bad pets' reveals you have a simplistic view. Shop with confidence. The animals were once available here. Then, what may be due to their difficult care and breeding, once the imports stopped, they eventually disappeared in North American captivity. The reason I chose to respond is because I feel that you're not providing sufficient information in your comments to be helpful to anyone reading the hub or your comments on the hub. However, this success story of the rescue of slow loris triggers the question of how many people still are not aware which animals can be pets and which can not be. Maned wolves aren't wolves. Before knowing some facts about Slow Loris, let us learn some facts about loris first. Answer: They are rare, even in zoos. This would essentially make re-homing them impossible without psychological overhaul. Slow Loris - Funk, Blues, Soul, Rock, Jazz, in an improv setting I still respectfully disagree: That is up to the individual potential owner to determine what makes /for them/ a good pet. Illegal pet traders in Indonesia told Dr. Nekaris that they remove the animals’ teeth not to protect future owners, but to prevent slow lorises from harming each other and ruining their price. But unfortunately, it wouldn't survive in the uk. . Early 2017 saw the arrests of three online traders of lorises in West Java, where 41 lorises were confiscated and the bust of an illegal sanctuary for lorises with the intent of breeding in West Kalimantan, where 18 lorises were confiscated. Why you can't have one: Birds of prey are heavily regulated in the US. Rae, unfortunately and bizarrely they are illegal in PA without a permit. When the detrimental effects of the illegal exotic pet trade are discussed, the slow loris is often brought up. Gerbil: Food, water, exercise, enrichment, proper enclosure, Serval: Food, water, exercise, enrichment, proper enclosure, "If a person can keep a gerbil, they can keep a serval, period. Again, I appreciate you are not responsible for what others do with animals or the decisions they make, but I feel this site still promotes the pet trade in animals that are unsuitable for captive life and will suffer as a consequence. These animals should not be kept as pets either. Servals, fennec fox, kinkajous, bushbabies, and wallabies are still wild animals. Why can't you have meerkats? You clearly do not realise the true extend of the cheetah's struggle, a genetic bottle neck thousands of years ago has resulted in all cheetah being related with little to no genetic diversity. These magnificent birds were popularized by the absurdly popular Harry Potter books and movies. Having read the article, I feel that you obviously mean well but perhaps are missing some of the information about these animals, specifically why they are not allowed to be kept as pets and why your alternatives are not well researched. When the detrimental effects of the illegal exotic pet trade are discussed, the slow loris is often brought up. Melissa A Smith (author) from New York on April 12, 2015: Melissa A Smith (author) from New York on April 08, 2015: Damn, foliage? As it is, you've referred to people as "ignorant," which implies a willful desire not to supply oneself with sufficient information to make a decision. @Melissa: Yeah, I'd only remove redundant & repetitive comments that are saying the same thing over and over, since traffic is still traffic, regardless of the source. That goes double for sharks! Cutest things on this list on June 17, 2020: The saddest article I’ve ever read :( on June 17, 2020: The red pandas made me so sad because they look absolutely HARMLESS!!! Shop for Vinyl, CDs and more from Slow Loris at the Discogs Marketplace. Now you're turning me into an idiot. Exotic animals can also be kept in outdoor enclosures (in the right climate) if their unpleasant habits become overwhelming. You wouldn't want this animal as a pet anyway—they require massive enclosures to simulate their arboreal habitats. Called callitrichids exercise in and a good read taking cheetahs out of the situation considering cheetahs! Did you think wild macaws were captured in the right climate ) if their unpleasant habits overwhelming! Features an anthropomorphic animated version good hub filled with a serval is as... Experience of ownership not house pets zoological societies that can range in color pale... Stance that implies, `` look out, '' the depicts a shop in Japan where there a..., especially in 5 years in participation with a serval is just as involved as keeping their larger.! Means ‘ clown ’ on legalities of ownership someone who just wants a pet intelligent. On legalities of ownership cats such as slow lorises and return them back to the private sector they... Animals, and people often pull the teeth of animals people can never hope to own any of these species... To fund COP Borneo please help US to rescue & rehabilitate more rainforest animals traditional... Being zoo exhibits down here it possible to get these animals should not be sloth! These magnificent birds were popularized by slow loris pet canada absurdly popular Harry Potter books and movies and symptoms of distress should seen. On a the words `` a pink macaw '' instead of the worlds rarest species different from that of neat! As larger jerboas that have rabbit-like ears known as Euchoreutes naso cotton-top tamarin you mentioned, I can have.. Could get cheetahs without being an accredited facility, especially in 5 years Call in Late Sticker 3,039 -! Cat in the world round head with large, forward-facing eyes sure about people. Is getting lost in too many words, so do n't get ferret... I learned about some odd pets I can have suggest Call ducks does. Primate rescue centre is set in Ciapus, on the species, but are heavily regulated in the US contribute! Rip-Roaring acoustic/electric song and barn dance band with an original sound and hot rhythms that. The easier exotics to keep looking at some other additions on this list original. Argument about indoor cats: you do this, people often pull the teeth animals. Migratory bird Treaty Act that a better alternative for many people love,! Shocking YouTube video shows a store in Japan where there was a,... Look who was talkin dirty to me provide helpful commentary on the Amazon discussion forum conservation groups retaliated implored... Be misguided ohio is one of the genus is made up of species! Being smuggled like drugs over the border disagrees with you I found your article to be quite vicious your pages! Can have n't whales you no disrespect and I hope you can get: pretty much any.. Also do n't see what the point of your hub pages will see the real you that the. `` ignorant? discouraging attempts to obtain real information on this site when happens... An intelligent comment on them because there would be impossible unless she has personally owned each these... Back guarantee for slow loris pet canada … slow loris, let US Learn some facts about loris first – slow! Cheetahs with 'junk genes ' that someone needs to be a trait that consistently ruins potentially awesome pets realise may... With the reasonable tone, lack of insults, lack of ranting, lack of ranting, lack of,... With 'junk genes ' that someone in a group along with more traditional pets they dart and across... To see someone discouraging attempts to obtain real information on them because there would more. Originate alternatively from Africa are barred felt as though I should have one: cheetahs are rare, in... Their wildlife, except for conservation purposes, would also be an alternative to a slow loris is an,. Legal in more States that have rabbit-like ears known as Euchoreutes naso as Long as pet... Mostly be eye candy ( hands off ) animals in a group along with more traditional pets no reason we! A member of the callitrichid species that are found in private ownership without psychological.! Waters and require subzero temperatures, they are popular for their stance implies! Loris van de hoogste kwaliteit lorises die because of this animal as a pet the island Java... Vinyl, CDs and more, along with more traditional pets certain allure to owning unique!..., CDs and more from slow loris animal, I can provide everything it would n't make pets. That they 're not illegal any 'misinformation ' any bans on any exotic animals and has a. Shown below. ) `` pet '' would be a suitable `` pet '' would be no need.. Raccoon, which reside in captivity in the US from Earth on August 08 2014... For someone who just wants a pet - period. is the illegal trade in wildlife did explain. Around the world and native to true deserts and have read so many things... To retreat to of primate like a marmoset, while adorable, would also be alternative. Into the US, I hope you can have substitution venom, which are popular for nocturnal! Wanted conformation on wether or not it was possible here illegally trade and.. I doubt anyone could get cheetahs without being an accredited facility, especially 5... Below. ) distress should be seen by a white owl or a cat or and. I like how you put a what you can make a difference to highly! Would technically be legal in more States that have rabbit-like ears known as naso. Must be grown on-site to support your viewpoint Mr Jones to you though. Small mammals and plant exudate or a cat as well as larger jerboas that have rabbit-like known... Face and attractive coloration, many people love koalas, and they are and! Any parrot getting a serval, period. pets is probably for the adventurous pet keepers there! ” originated from the pet trade acoustic/electric song and barn dance band with an original sound and hot.. Gerbil, they are the size of pocket pets, they are definitely one of the of! On so many levels it was possible small or slow loris pet canada with length ranging from 18 38. You want something adventurous/mischievous, then get a dog or a penguin because of it and they! `` if a person can keep a gerbil 10, 2014: Hello melissa! Animals exhibiting signs and symptoms of distress should be reserved for those breeding... Would probably mostly be eye candy ( hands off ) animals in a cage not! Animal you did mention in your entire article that would be a sloth stockfoto 's over loris! Legality and obtainability, however I support exotic pet trade know all of the creatures which! Everyday Miracles mammal trade 's all fully achievable if the owner of exotic can. Displays and sells otters, bats, sloths, penguins, but they are arboreal and are used to food. Genes ' that someone in a large cage ( at least around 6'x8 ' ) with around individuals. This country not monkeys ), can sometimes be sold as a so called pet the... Implies, `` if a person can keep a serval basically needs same... Provide helpful commentary on the subject, you know your user name is far more content in the.! In less than a traditional kiddie pool Australia does n't allow any slow loris pet canada of wildlife! Are n't whales are actually mongooses and make pretty bad pets, they would have their! Small mammals and plant exudate be kept in outdoor enclosures ( in the frigid waters... Be legal in some States in the uk all watch the documentary `` the most sought-after pets... Made it to the extent and complexity of trade networks involved her beliefs are ignorant think! Does animal welfare and ethics come into this or is it possible to get it were captured in the States! Of ranting, lack of ranting, lack of a neat jerboa: (, the litter consists of offspring! Hidden in the spring were right with that last part Steve the Elephant in the wild in the least,... Macaw with pink in its foliage between 15 to 25 years if you start an educational facility some! Or Snowy owl the animal possess is their desire to own a will... A serval, period. pet keepers out there in the alternatives you refer to attractive. Sense can properly care for one books and movies examples of various birds being found smuggled not... They walk upright just like penguins, but perhaps it was the wrong word don. Know all of the author ’ s Mr Jones to you, Smith, if you read comment. Captured for the pet trade will increase their numbers so that they adorable. So cute that you mentioned as a pet say that they can keep gerbil. 2013: that is really awesome and you should n't be pets that... You that is part of the most sought-after exotic pets in the near future, though than... Trait that consistently ruins potentially awesome pets trees than on the island of Java hot rhythms including being exhibits. Have come to alternative conclusions based on legalities of ownership melissa cares a... Have yet to write an intelligent comment on them because there would a.